Sunday, October 21, 2012

Blog Post 8

This Is How We Dream Part 1 & 2

Dreams
In the video, This Is How We Dream Part 1 & 2, Miller is a professor at Rudgers University. Richard Miller discusses what can happen if students watch or listen to a lesson being taught. Miller talks about how writing in classrooms and cultures have changed. He starts with the incremental changes before he gets to the fundamental changes. He states "he will change that there are no more pens, paper and visits to libraries." He then says, "desks will not be important unless the students' computer is on it." He shows an advantage of using multimedia which can be utilized in all libraries across the world for resources.

In part 2 of Mr. Miller's video, he talks about how material is different and changes constantly. Miller talks about the academic information you can obtain when using iTunes U. I agree when he says "us as educators need to and must be in the business of sharing ideas freely". He states four things that are needed to start this program. "Inspiring Teachers of New Media Composing", "Ubiguitous Composing Technology", "Space That Foster Collaborative Learning", and "Pedagogues That Foster Creativity and Collaborations." I also like the statement "culture and our background is what helps form our ideas".

Mr Miller's video was interesting with great ideas. I don't think I could do without books. I've heard positive things about iTunes U and how great their podcast are. I see this process happening more and more everyday in all schools.


Carly Pugh Blog Post 12

Carly Pugh's blog post was great. Carly's playlist that she created is a great example of multimedia usage that Mr. Miller was talking about. Her playlist examples show you can still learn important facts without using books, pencil, and paper. Carly put a lot of thought into her assignment. I hope my blog post 12 can be on the same level as hers.


Chipper and EDM for Dummies

I loved watching The Chipper Series video it was very humorous, and it had a lot of true points. The Chipper Series informs people that taking the easy way out is not the best thing to do. One of my favorite parts in the video is when Dr. Strange says he procrastinates and turns his taxes in at the last minute. EDM310 for Dummies is a great video to show incoming students. Its good to know that I'm not the only one who had trouble in the beginning. I would love to make a video with my group and classmates to encourage new students.

Learn to Change, Change to Learn

Learn to Change, Change to Learn starts out with different individuals talking about their being a change when it comes to learning in a classroom. I agree that kids today are doing more learning out of the classroom. Kids use technology more outside of class than inside of the classroom. I also agree with the male educator who said "as educators we have to accept technology." We also need to embrace it.

Scavenger Hunt

1. An awesome social platform for teachers, students, and parents is Edmodo.com. I created an account under the name of Mrs. Young. This website is almost identical to Facebook. I can use Edmodo to send students/parents assignments and reminders. Also, parents can contact me if they have any questions concerning their child's progress in my class.

4. Animoto.com/education is an excellent website to use in the classroom for all grade levels. Animoto helps create extraordinary videos from your photos, video clips, words, and music. Once a video is made I can share them on Edmodo for my students to watch before class.

5.For my poll I used Polleverywhere.com

2 comments:

  1. Carmen,
    You did a good job with your post and did everything that Dr. Strange asked. I also agree that students are doing more learning outside of the classroom. Until we start using more computers, cell phones, and other types of technology in the classroom we are only holding them back as learners. One thing that I saw in your post was that Dr. Miller is a professor at "Rudgers University" and it is actually "Rutgers University". Also, you may want to expand a little bit more on Carly's blog post. Good luck as we continue on in this class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "In the video, This Is How We Dream Part 1 & 2, Miller is a professor at Rudgers University." Yes, Dr. Miller is a Professor at Rutgers. But what does "in the video" have to do with that?

    "Richard Miller discusses what can happen if students watch or listen to a lesson being taught. " You miss the point. A central thesis of Dr. Miller's video is that books have changed. Books first contained printed words. Later pictures were added. Now books are multi-media products containing text, pictures, video and audio. (The iBook added manipulative 3-D objects after Dr. Miller created his video). And every one of can (and should) write with multi-media.

    "I agree when he says 'us as educators need to and must be in the business of sharing ideas freely'." This cannot be an accurate quotation since it is grammatically incorrect. It can be easily corrected without returning to the original source by omitting us as.

    ReplyDelete