Sunday, November 11, 2012

Blog Post 11

Little Kids....Big Potential


Ms.Cassidy first grade class

Ms. Cassidy is a first grade teacher in Moscoe Jaw, Canada. Ms. Cassidy is a strong believe in using technology in the classroom. In the video, her students demonstrate the different ways they use technology. The students in Ms. Cassidy class have blogs, they use wikis, and they have a class webpage. Also, they skype, make videos, and use the Nintendo DS. They use these tools to solve problems, share with other students, and communicate with others around the world. The students enjoy coming to school to use new technologies.


In the Interview Ms. Cassidy talks about how she became involved in technology. She stated she became involved ten years ago, when she received five computers in her classroom. She could not add programs to the computers, so she browsed the internet to find things she could do. She started a webpage for her class, and each student started blogging. Ms. Cassidy says technology is not going away, its here to stay. Her students really enjoy using computers to do their assignments. I never thought about using so many tools in technology in my everyday life, let alone a classroom. Now that I'm aware of these tools and their benefits to the student and the teacher, I'm more open to doing new things. I plan on blogging in my classroom just like Dr. Strange and Ms. Cassidy. Blogging is a great tool for students because it helps students writing skills, and it allows other people to see what they are doing in class. I think blogging will keep students excited and confident about doing their work. Blogging also allows parents to see what their child is doing in class. I will also have a class webpage. Its a great tool to put announcements about class work, field trips, or anything else that may go on inside the class. At first, I was very concerned how these tools could benefit kindergartners, and kids with special needs. Now, I understand how each tool works and the many benefits. I am very excited to start teaching!

3 comments:

  1. Carmen,
    I enjoyed your thought on Ms. Cassidy's classroom ideas. I too love blogging now that I have become so accustomed to it. I feel it is a great tool that students can use and get great feedback while doing it. The classroom webpage was another favorite of mine as well. I found a few grammatical errors in your post, which I have listed below. Other than that, I would have liked to hear more about the problems you anticipate; we, as future educators, should try to figure out problems that our students might have, so that we can better prepare ourselves for them! Great job on the post (:

    Grammatical errors:

    “strong believe” should be “strong believer”
    “students in Ms. Cassidy class” should be “students in Ms. Cassidy’s class”
    “its here to stay” should be “it’s here to stay”
    “it helps students writing skills” should be “it helps students’ writing skills”
    “Its a great tool” should be “It’s a great tool”

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carmen,

    Ms. Cassidy is from Moose Jaw not Moscoe Jaw. I laughed when I read that. Anyway, you did a fair job of summarizing Ms. Cassidy's videos and her use of technology. However, with technology comes problems. How would you solve those problems? Like Internet use, privacy, cheating, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Carmen,
    Your post was great. I fell in love with half of the things we did in EDM310 that I can use in my future classroom. Teaching with technology can be so much fun. Mrs. Cassidy made me a more true believer. I hope we continue to move foward with technology in the future, so we can spread the good of technology with our own students one day. Keep up the good work, we almost done.

    ReplyDelete